Self assessment: a service you can trust

Specialists at James Bell & Co have the expertise to guide you through the, sometimes tricky, self assessment process, so you can be sure to return an accurate form, and get all the tax breaks you, or your company, deserve.

Normally, we will also prepare full accounts as part of the return process.

If you need a return, or any related accounts preparation, contact us now on  01292 288 531 or, for free, friendly advice.


Self Assessment FAQs

You must complete a return if you are:

  • a sole trader or partner
  • a company director
  • a trustee
  • an individual receiving untaxed income
  • an individual receiving foreign income
  • a landlord
  • an individual receiving income from savings or investments
You have to first register for self assessment by 5 October, following the end of the tax year you need to send a tax return for.
Almost certainly. The return has a self employment supplement, which has to include your trading figures, and a taxable profit. For all but the most simple businesses, this involves us preparing a set of accounts with a Profit and Loss Account and Balance Sheet.
Privacy. While anyone can inspect a limited company’s published accounts, a sole trader’s financial information is kept private. This means your competitors have less information about how well your company is doing.